Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Not so easy to be a Jewish cheerleader in Georgia: Go Dawgs!

The Los Angeles Times has story today about a federal court decision that the University of Georgia does not need to reinstate its cheerleading coach who was dismissed by university oficials for "retaliating against a Jewish cheerleader who had complained about pressure to participate in Bible study and team prayers."

(Here's the link but you need to register. Registration is free so it's worth it.)

The "dismissed" cheerleading coach, Marilou Braswell, still appears as the coach in photos on the Georgia cheerleading website. I couldn't find a photo of the Jewish cheerleader in question, Jaclyn Steele.


Jaclyn Steele in a yearbook photo. Posted by Hello

But Harry found for me this WXIA-TV Atlanta story with photos of all those involved. But this version of events, as Harry pointed out to me, suggests perhaps this is a case of Ms. Steele being upset over being relegated to the third-team squad and cheering at women's basketball games.

We may never know the truth.

In any case, I know this will sound crude, especially to my female readers, but I'm quite sure I'd be like putty in the hands of a Jewish cheerleader with a southern twang.