Monday, December 20, 2004

Merry Christmas, Jews

My sister, who is married with two beautiful young children, told me last night how her husband recently attended a holiday office party that opened with the guests being asked to bow their heads for a blessing to give thanks to the Lord.

The prayer made it clear that this Lord, born on December 25th, was not a Jewish one.

Now if this was North Carolina, Oklahoma or some other red state, I could understand. But my sister lives in the Chicago suburb of Deerfield, which has a large Jewish population, and my brother-in-law's ofice is also outside Chicago, albeit in different suburb.

In any case, I thought "Happy holidays" was the correct way to go in such situations. But Slate reports that in the era of Bush, "Merry Christmas" is making a comeback.