Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Coming of age / Breaking the cycle


Philip Roth (L) and Milan Kundera. Not settlers. Posted by Hello

Looking at my blog tonight I realize I've been posting far too much about settlers. I had no intention of adding to this string tonight. I just wanted to come home from work, walk the dog, make dinner and do a bit a studying. But then I came across Caroline Glick's column, about the settlers, and I couldn't resist.

So later I'm sitting in my apartment and I decide to take from the shelf Philip Roth's classic book of American Jewish male sexual angst Portnoy's Complaint. I thought I would select an interesting passage to post here - anything to break the cycle of settler nonsense. Fairly quickly I come across the following:

"A Jewish man with his parents alive is half the time a helpless infant! Listen, come to my aid, will you - and quick! Spring me from this role I play of the smothered son in the Jewish joke. Because it's beginning to pall a little, at thirty-three.!"
I'm 33, so I knew this was the passage to post.