Friday, December 03, 2004

Conspiracy theories in our midst

A few weeks ago I had a strange conversation with a colleague. I intended to blog about it earlier, but I'm only getting to it now.

I work for an Israel news website and the colleague, who is Arab, works for the Arabic-language site. I asked him whether the Arab world would have any problem with Condoleezza Rice becoming secretary of state following Colin Powell's resignation, because she's a woman. His response was something like this:

"That's part of the Western world's propaganda against the Arab world, as if there are no women in places of power. I'll give you a list of female officials."

"Yes, but are any of them really in positions of power?" I asked.

He mumbled something of an evasive non-response. Somehow the conversation moved to the 9-11 attacks.

"How is it that all the Jews working in the Twin Towers didn't show up for work that day?" he asked.

At first I thought he was joking. His expression indicated he was not.

I've heard of such Jewish conspiracy theories in the Arab world, but I was shocked that this educated journalist, who lives in Israel, could actually believe them to be true, even partially.

The conversation troubled me so I mentioned it to a Jewish colleague who speaks Arabic and has had more contact with the Arab sector than I do. He said the conversation wasn't surprising because conspiracy theories have quite a hold in the Arab world, even among the educated.

I guess this explains why Egyptian TV can broadcast a series based on the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and officials in Cairo see nothing wrong with it.

As for me, now I don't look at my colleague in the same way. I wonder how he looks at me.