Thursday, December 30, 2004

'I want my Al-Manar TV'

News director of Hezbollah run-TV station Al-Manar as quoted in a Slate story:

"We're not looking to interview [Ariel] Sharon. We want to get close to him in order to kill him."
Although I consider myself a defender of First Amendment rights, I'm not sure I share the Slate writer's position that Hezbollah TV should not be banned in America. It seems to reflect a "protect liberal values at all costs" attitude that fails to consider reality.

(Did I really just write that? I'm starting to sound more and more right-wing. I must be getting old.)

On the other hand, maybe a more effective policy would be to allow Al-Manar to broadcast in the U.S. - but to monitor subscribers.

Hell, if I was FBI director I'd dispatch undercover agents door-to-door to sell satellite TV subscriptions.

"So, Mr. Abdullah, I'll sign you up for CNN, Family Channel, National Geographic, Discovery, MTV, HBO, ESPN, Disney... oh, and what about Al-Manar?"


Al-Manar offers quality programs such as this
all-star cast in the Syrian production of 'Diaspora'
depicting the Jewish plot to control the world.
 Posted by Hello

Yeah, go ahead and call me a racist, but let's be honest: How many Oklahoma residents would be interested in watching Al-Manar? It's safe to say that the typical Hezbollah TV viewer speaks Arabic, has a copy of the Koran on the bookshelf and doesn't eat chick peas only during visits to the Sizzler salad bar.

He also doesn't frequent the Elks Lodge nor does his wife belong to Daughters of the American Revolution.

Although some some will argue my idea would infringe on civil liberties, it might prove helpful the next time someone inside the U.S. is planning a terror attack on American soil.

(I fear I may be suffering from an identity crisis in regard to my politics.)