Friday, October 22, 2004

Potential dilemma

Haaretz reported Friday today that the Israel Defense Forces will call up most of the reserve forces during the course of next year because of the extra manpower demand created by the disengagement plan.

According to the story, reservists will replace the regular troops utilized to implement Sharon's plan to get out of Gaza.

This presents an interesting dilemma for me and my fellow refusers. Will I refuse to fill in for regular forces in the territories because they are implementing the disengagement plan? I'm not sure.

My gut feeling is that the disengagement will dramatically change the political and moral reality in which refusers are reaching their respective decisions, because it would mean Israel acting to (at least partially) end the occupation of the territories.

I'll have to think about this further. But I won't be surprised if the number of refusers declines if disengagement does happen.