Thursday, October 21, 2004

Blogs and insanity / Old man Ovadia on Arabs

One of the problems with blogging is that it's easy to fall in the trap of ranting and losing one's santity. Perhaps it's because I'm sitting here, talking to myself, but I'm imagining that I'm debating someone diametrically opposed to my views, and he is really pissing me off. So if I have been ranting the last two posts, I do apologize. I'll try to regain a bit of my sanity.

Today on my way to work I noticed a row of 5-6 large billboards, one beside the other on Moses Street in Tel Aviv, and all but one was about the disengagement plan.

I didn't write the text down verbatim, but one said: "Sharon is splitting the country" while another said something about how the minority opposed to disengagement shouldn't dictate Israeli policy. I had seen variations of these themes before, but a new one on the billboards warned residents of the center of Israel that the Qassam rockets are on the way. It's just another example of the right wing relying on scare tactics because they lack any good reason for us to stay in Gaza. They can feel their power slipping away, like water in their cupped hands.

And today Shas spiritual leader Rabbi Ovadia Yosef met with leaders opposed to the disengagement plan. Here's a select quote the wise sage made a few years back:

"Why are you bringing them (Palestinians) close to us? You bring snakes next to us. How can you make peace with a snake? Those evildoers, the Arabs, it says in the Gemara religious texts that God is sorry he ever created those sons of Ishmael."

And remember, yesterday Defense Minister Mofaz met with old man Ovadia in a bid to get support for the disengagement plan.