Wednesday, October 20, 2004

I'm back: Confessions of a refuser

I'm back. I stopped blogging because I felt as I was wasting time and energy debating the Caroline Glicks of journalism here in Israel. But my recent experience guest blogging on The View From Here has rejuvenated me. (Thanks, Harry.) So with that...

I'm a refuser. Yes, I'm one of those radical left-wingers who refuses to do reserve duty in the territories. I understand if you disagree with me. That's fine. But keep in mind that unlike the majority of Israelis (and certainly American Jews), I did serve as a combat soldier and I did reserve duty in the territories. So if you haven't worked at a checkpoint in the West Bank or Gaza Strip, I don't give a damn what you think.

Now, time for a few points regarding the possibility that soldiers on the right could refuse to evacuate settlements. I support their right to refuse. While I certainly disagree with their reasons, I believe that they have the right to do so if the mission they are asked to perform goes against their conscience. For this reason I would hope that the IDF makes an effort not to put such soldiers in a position where they must decide whether to refuse or evacuate a settlement.

But there are two points I want to make on this issue.

First, politicans who say the phenomenon of refusing could destroy the fabric of Israeli society have no shame. If they hadn't the settler minority to dictate foreign policy in the country for so long and if they had dealt with the difficult questions regarding the fate of the West Bank and Gaza Strip, there wouldn't be refusal. Refusal, on left and right, is a response to the abdication of political responsibility of our so-called leaders. Instead leaders used the issues to their political advantage, as a means of getting elected. The territories have been a divisive issue for decades, but what we are facing today could have been avoided had the politicans led rather than kiss settler ass. And I'm referring to politicans on the left and right.

The true danger to Zionism is not refual, as IDF Chief of Staff Ya'alon claims, but rather the conditions that left people on the left and right who truly care about the future of the country (each in their own way) with no other recourse. It has come to this because Israeli leaders lacked the political courage to tackle the controversial problem head on.

(I wonder if Ariel Sharon today regrets having been such a strong supporter of the settlement movement. But what changed his position? When he was in the opposition, apparently he was less concerned with what was good for all of Israel than with what was good for his settler constituents. But I digress.)

Addressing the status of the territories decades ago, even just 10 years ago, would have required tough decisions, but isn't that why we elected them in the first place? Apparently not, because unfortunately Israeli politicans are much better at using tax money to buy off the religious parties than actually leading the country.

Second, Roman Bronfman (Yahad) is the sole Knesset member to express support for the left-wing refusers. Mainstream Israeli leaders, committed to democracy, understand the danger of refusing. And in my opinion, that's a good thing.

But in contrast there are plenty of religious figures issuing alleged halakhik rulings supporting a soldier's right to refuse evacuating settlements. Where the hell do I live? Iran? Who are these religious leaders?

(With that said, I should single out the religious kibbutz movement for announcing its opposition to soldiers refusing to evacuate settlements.)

I have a confession. I'm not sure I would refuse if we, the leftist refusers, weren't a small minority in the country. I grappled with the consequences of my actions for Israeli democracy. I don't brag about my decision to refuse. But if I truly felt that I was endangering the state, I might decide differently.

But do the extremist rabbis supporting right-wing refusers grapple with such questions? Mind you, I'm talking about the repercussions of their actions for democratic society, and not the "Land of Israel."

I believe the answer is no, because democracy for them is subservant to religious law. If you don't believe me, just take a look at the rantings of Ellen at Arutz Sheva. (She's a painter and political commentator. She must be American.)

Finally, the ultimate absurdity is that today, Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz groveled before Shas spiritual leader Rabbi Ovadia Yosef in a bid to get his support for the disengagement plan. This says it all. The ultra-Orthodox Shas Party, which wants draft exemptions for its yeshiva boys, should have no say on such matters until start serving in the army. The photos in the newspapers of Mofaz and old man Ovadia leaning over maps of the Gaza Strip are embarassing. But you know what will determine if Shas supports the decision to leave Gaza? If they get enough money for their schools and corrupt movement.

Perhaps this is the true danger to Zionism. Or has it become the true meaning of Zionsim?