Friday, October 22, 2004

Love Parade - take two

The annual Love Parade is taking place this afternoon just two blocks from my apartment in Tel Aviv. Police have sealed off streets between Kerem Hatemanim and the beach. It was supposed to be held a few weeks ago, but it was postponed due to the Sinai terror attacks.

I noticed that uniformed police are wearing fluorescent yellow stickers with "police" written in black Hebrew letters, so I asked why because their uniform makes it clear they are police. An officer told me it's to prevent terrorists disguised as police from infiltrating the event.

Personally I've never really understood the Love Parade. Don't get me wrong. I'm no prude and I have no moral opposition to women flashing their breasts to onlookers as they ride atop floats down the parade route... Wait a second... Now that I think about it, I finally do understand the Love Parade.