Saturday, October 23, 2004

The Ayatollah of Israel

Today it became clear that I live in Iran, not Israel.

Shas spiritual leader Rabbi Ovadia Yosef ordered the Shas members of Knesset to vote against Sharon's disengagement plan.

According to Shas Chairman Eli Yishai, leaving parts of the land of Israel is "clearly a matter of halakha [Jewish law]," and that in this matter "the rabbi has no other considerations."

That's a relief. I was concerned that maybe he could be bought off with funds to the Shas educational system. I can sleep better knowing that old man Ovadia is basing his policy decisions on Jewish law. (But where in Jewish law does it say I must serve in the army but his constituents do not?)

I can only hope that the Shas decision will make it impossible for the ultra-Orthodox party to enter the government and that a secular unity government of Likud, Labor and Shinui will be formed.