Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Is Arafat dying? Predict the day and win!

Israeli assessments that Yasser Arafat is suffering from intestinal cancer have strengthened in recent days following reports the Palestinian leader underwent a series of medical checks and even exploratory surgery, Yediot Aharonot reported Tuesday morning

Arafat's wife Suha was even asked to leave Paris to visit the ailing Palestinian leader, the report said. (If Suha is willing to take a break from shopping in Paris and spending aid money meant for the Palestinian people, then Arafat must be ill.)

But Haaretz cites Palestinian officials as saying that Arafat is not suffering from any serious illness.

I'm not sure how much credence I'd put in the Palestinian sources. Of course they're going to say he's fine. I have a feeling he won't last more than a month. He's been visited by several medical teams recently and Israel recently gave him permission to temporarily leave his Ramallah compound and visit a hospital in the West Bank city.

Please post predictions of Arafat's day of death (and political ramifications) in the comments section. The reader (Do I have more than one?) who comes closest wins my respect and the opportunity to post a blog on the site. (Cheap prize, I know, but it's not like I'm making any real money on my Israeli shekel salary.)