Friday, October 22, 2004

Political education

Israeli schools in the West Bank and Gaza Strip are going to be closed Tuesday so children can surround the Knesset in a human chain in a demonstration against the disengagement plan, Ynet is reporting.

The Knesset is slated to vote that day on Prime Minister Sharon's disengagement plan.

I wonder if these kids have any choice in the matter as to whether they participate in the demonstration. In any case, this is exploitation of these kids and absolutely inappropriate - and I would feel the same way if secular schools in Tel Aviv were closed so kids could demonstrate in favor of disengagement. (Hey, there's an idea!)

I'd like to believe that this is a sign of desperation and the right-wing's last gasp, with the polls showing broad Israeli support for leaving Gaza. But I'll believe the disengagement plan is for real only when I see it implemented on the ground.