Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Yasser refuses to sign / I want my own compound

Yediot Aharonot reported earlier this week that Suha Arafat, who left Paris to be with her ailing husband, asked hubby Yasser to sign a will, but that the Palestinian leader refused to do so.

Do I detect a pattern here? Yasser Arafat refuses to sign a legal and binding document. Maybe in the delerium of his illness he mistook the will for a peace agreement that would create a Palestinian state?

The report also said that many Palestinians were critical of Suha because they felt as a good wife, rather than live in Paris, she should have stood by her man during his more than 2-year confinement to his Ramallah compound, the Muqata.

I'd like to have a compound with a name, and there's no denying that Muqata is a cool name. Just say it aloud in a strong whisper and draw out the last syllable. See what I mean.

The Kennedys had a compound. Does anyone else? If I ever get married, instead of saying to my wife, "I'll see you at home," I'd prefer, "I'll see you in the Muqata."

Or to the kids: "You're confined to the Muqata until you finish your homework!" or "No parties in the Muqata while your mother and I are away on vacation."

Naturally I won't use Muqata, but I'll be hard pressed to come up with an equally cool compound name. Any suggestions out there?

Too bad Fortress of Solitude is taken already.