Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Will the Arabs like Condi's legs?

How will the Arab world respond to Condoleezza Rice as Secretary of State if she replaces Colin Powell as expected?

It shouldn't matter, but I would expect the traditional Arab/Muslim to have a hard time accepting a woman in such a powerful post. How will the clerics feel to have a woman, known for wearing skirts revealing legs adored by Ariel Sharon, telling them what to do?

(Speaking in February 2001 about meetings with White House officials in Washington, Sharon was quoted as saying: "I have to confess, it was hard for me to concentrate in the conversation with Condoleezza Rice because she has very nice legs.")

Madeleine Albright was Secretary of State in the Clinton administration. I haven't read her book so I don't know if she discusses whether her gender created obstacles for the administration's objectives. In any case, I doubt her legs distracted anyone.

But the quagmire in Iraq will present Rice with a challenge more daunting than any Albright ever faced, and one that will require her to take on a very visible role in her dealings with Arab countries.

I'm not saying Rice doesn't deserve the post because she's a woman. But maybe she should consider lengthening the hem line on her skirts before meeting Sunni leaders in Iraq.

She can always change back into the shorter skirts before meetings with Sharon.