Thursday, January 13, 2005

'There will be no talks with desecrators of the Sabbath'

Rabbi Elyashiv sounds like he's about to smash our idols.

I have an idea.

The operation of businesses on the Sabbath creates a certain amount of tax revenue. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for an economist to come up with the number.

If the ultra-Orthodox parties really want no dealings with Sabbath desecrators. i.e. the secular who keep this country's economy afloat, then I propose they not be entitled to this dirty money.

For example, if 1% of tax revenues end up going to the ultra-Orthodox today, under my plan they would get 1% of the tax revenues generated by businesses that do not operate on the Sabbath budget.

I wonder if such a proposal would get them talking to the Sabbath desecrators.